The Outback is dedicated to providing a positive environment where middle and high school students are able to socialize, participate in entrepreneurial and enrichment activities and contribute to the community in a meaningful way.
The objective of the teen center is to promote healthy age-appropriate development for teens and pre-teens in New Canaan. This is achieved by providing an environment designed to develop positive social skills and social competence, foster character development and enhance self-esteem – all of which are related to reducing risk-taking behavior and developing healthy interpersonal relationships.
Board of Directors
Susan Carroll, NCHS Liaison
Beth Jones, Selectman
Student Governing Board
The Outback Student Governing Board (SGB) plays an active role in the management of the facility, programming, community outreach, and fundraising. Our mission is to represent and promote the Outback by coordinating social, community service and enrichment opportunities for all New Canaan teens.
President – Mary Jane Ripley
Vice President Marketing – Anne Greer
Vice President Events – Giulianne Ponterotto
Treasurer – Sophia Welch
Secretary – Madison Kane
Fundraising & Community Service – Cara Michael
Student Member – Drew McGough; Alice Gelhaus
SGB Member Guidelines
Join a fun, motivated group of high school students looking to develop leadership and team building skills while making a difference in the community. Have your say in the development and implementation of programming, events, community service and the re-designing of the Outback itself!
- Attend at least 75% of weekly meetings
- Attend at least 75% of SGB events
- Actively participate in the planning, promotion and execution of 1 social event per month and three community service events/projects per year
- Commit to a minimum of 10 hours of volunteer work (outside of scheduled meetings)
- Participate in teambuilding and leadership development activities
- Positively promote the Outback and its events/programs
- Actively and strategically recruit new members to the board throughout the year